Owning a large amount of land is great. But keeping up with all that land — and lawn — can be extremely time consuming.
That’s why more and more homeowners with large lots have turned to robotic lawn mowers. You have enough to accomplish around the house and property each week — why add hours of mowing to the list?
It’s time to give this task to, you guess it, a robotic lawn mower.
Today, we’ll be sharing with you some great options for robotic lawn mowers that work great for large lawns.
Why Robotic Lawn Mowers are Helpful With Big Lawns
With manually mowing the lawn, you have to do so much back and forth walking. And depending on the condition of your lawn, you have to walk in angles or curves to accommodate hills or dips. That could take hours to complete.
Traditional mowers tend to cut the grass noticeably low to the ground. So low that it may tug on the grass, leaving patches on the lawn. For big lawns, especially with slopes, that’s not the most advantageous for the health of the soil.
With a robotic lawn mower, you avoid all of that. Robot mowers are designed to trim the tops of blades of grass; those trimmings go back into the ground, acting as a natural fertilizer. Even with slopes, the mower’s wheels have great traction that allows a properly leveled mow even on an angle.
The best part? You won’t even hear it running. The noise levels are so low that it’s hard for anyone to notice. Plus, robotic lawn mowers for large lawns usually have long battery life. Meaning that you get peace and quiet and a healthy lawn.
Features to Consider When Shopping for a Robotic Lawn Mower
When you’re looking through Autmow’s website for the best robotic mower, there are some significant features that you want to look for in a robotic lawn mower for big yards. To get the most out of your purchase, check that the mower has most of these features:
- Battery life: Large lawns take up a lot of time to mow manually. You’ll need a robotic mower that can work on the big lawn for a long time. Look for a battery life of at minimum one hour of run time.
- Charge time: The time it takes to fully charge the robot mower’s battery matters just as much. Depending on how frequently you schedule the mower to cut the lawn, you’ll want it to always be readily charged up. For some mowers, the charge time is the same as the run time. Try to keep that in mind as you shop; if possible, avoid a noticeably long charge time.
- Navigation features: As quiet as robotic lawn mowers are, it’s easy to forget where it is. Look for mowers with GPS assist or app connectivity via Bluetooth. That way, you can track where the mower has and hasn’t mowed from your smartphone. Bonus if it has start/stop and scheduling features you can control from the app as well.
- Security features: You’d think an unattended mower freely roaming the lawn is an easy theft target. But the truth is, any thief won’t get away with this for even a second. Sign up for security features like alarms, PIN lock ups (so it mows only on your lawn), GPS tracking, and more.
- Cutting range: Clearly, a large lawn requires a mower with a large cutting range. If you know the size of your lawn, then shop accordingly. However, if you don’t know exactly, mowers that can cut almost an acre should suffice.
The Best Robotic Lawn Mower Options
With all of these features considered, here are some great picks for robotic mowers for large yards.
Option 1: Husqvarna Automower 430x
Husqvarna is one of the most popular robotic mower brands in the world. The Automower 430X is one of their best-selling models, and for good reason. For its price, you get 0.8 acres of coverage, decent slope handling, and top-tier smartphone connectivity via Automower Connect. This comes with 10 years of included mobile data connectivity.
- Energy-efficient LED lights for nighttime mowing and flashing in case of malfunction
- Smart home connectivity
- 24-degree max slope
- Long run time (145 mins) with decent charge time (60 mins)
- Slightly less than one acre of coverage
- Long set up process
Option 2: Husqvarna Automower 450x
Another great selection from Husqvarna is the 450X. This one is better suited for large lawns than the 430X, and it has the same excellent benefits of Automower Connect. It also comes with a two-year warranty.
- Fantastic run time (270 mins) with a short charge time (60 mins)
- 1.25 acres of coverage
- Smart home/app connectivity
- Installation tools are sold separately
- GPS features don’t help it mow within the lawn
Option 3: Ambrogio L250I Elite S+
When you need long-lasting performance, the L250i Elite S+ is the superior choice. Its nearly unmatched run time means you can let this mower cut your whole yard and still have plenty of battery juice left.
- Run time of 7 hours
- Can navigate up to 45-degree angles
- Automatic software updates
- Standard L250I Elite is probably a better bargain for some